Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Change

It is that time of year when I reflect on what happened in the last year and recent past and look forward to the future. From a high level view, the most dominant factor in our journey are the continual changes that face us. Change is relentless.

Embrace change? Should we embrace change? Maybe we should and maybe not. Not all change is good.

Over the last few decades’ pay phones disappeared. You can’t find a travel agent with a search warrant. You really don’t need a checkbook anymore to do your banking and to manage your finances. My new car doesn't even have a key. It has a FOB. What is a FOB? When I have computer or software problems I consult with my grandchildren. They know more than I do about technology. When and how did that happen? Yes, change is in the air and continues to happen.

My marquee client manufactures environmental equipment. Their systems help clean up air and water pollution. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) continues to enact and enforce pollution laws that are progressively strangling business and industry. Talk about relentless. The EPA has put business and industry under considerable pressure and continues to tighten down on polluters. Business and industry, in general, is not happy with these continual new rules (changes). On the other hand, my client is delighted by the new and ever stricter regulations. For them, this change is good, very good for business, it means money. So I guess the value of change is subjective.

I am looking forward to and planning my 2015 professional and personal life to the best of my ability. Markets, opportunities, technologies, processes, procedures and people continue to morph. I can’t stop change and don’t intend to try.


In my opinion, the best way to deal with change is to identify and attempt to understand changes and how they affect us. Once understood, we can deal with change, good, bad or indifferent and leverage it to your advantage and future success.

No comments: